This is a maternity cover contract for 9 months starting early to mid-July. It would suit a Senior HR Advisor or HR Manager looking to work in a stand-alone HR role.
Apply here by uploading your CV and cover letter outlining why you want to work for Somethin’ Else in this role.
Somethin’ Else is an award-winning and growing content agency working with broadcasters and brands to create TV, video, audio and social media content.
We are looking to recruit a Head of People and Office to cover a period of maternity leave and be an integral part of our senior management team. With 75 staff and a large number of freelancers, strong HR provision is crucial to our operation as a well-run company. This role reports into the Finance Director and has line management responsibility for the Receptionist and Office Runner (Apprentice).
We’re looking for someone with extensive HR experience gained at a creative business. This is a stand-alone HR role so you will need to be able to confidently advise on day-to-day HR issues as well as company-wide HR strategy and initiatives. You’ll be a strong communicator, naturally proactive and keen to contribute to the business.
Alongside management of the HR function is the oversight and management of the office, ensuring that the building runs well. You will line manage the Receptionist and Office Runner who form the rest of the Office Management team.
HR duties include:
- First point of contact for all HR matters
- Recruitment – manage all aspects of recruitment including creating job descriptions (in collaboration with hiring manager), advertising, liaising with recruitment agencies where required, shortlisting candidates and playing an active role in interviews and hiring decisions
- Employee Relations – manage ER processes including disciplinaries, grievances, performance management and redundancies
- Manage, develop and monitor staff benefits
- Work closely with finance on payroll and pension including auto enrolment
- Responsible for new starter and leaver processes
- Contracting staff and freelancers. Advising on specific industry regulations around the engagement of freelance personnel
- Upkeep of all policies
- Upkeep of staff files
- Upkeep of HR system (Office Simplify) including updating employee personal details and sickness records. Ensuring that staff and managers are booking and approving holiday via the system
- Working with managers on staff development including overseeing the new goal setting and feedback system, advising on training as required
- Manage processes aimed at improving diversity and inclusion
- Liaison with IT on provision for staff
- Liaison with external legal advisors on HR issues
- Ensure HR knowledge of regulations and laws is up to date.
- Monitor HR practices to identify critical people and organisational risks for the business
- Briefing senior management on a regular basis concerning HR changes and updates
- Communicating with staff as and when required on HR issues, changes, benefits etc
- Management of all entry-level schemes including apprenticeships, internships and work experience placements
- Line management of the Receptionist and the Office Runner. Delegating of some elements of office management
- Working across the business to identify new processes and systems that can be implemented to improve HR provision
- Promote the company internally
Office Management duties include:
- Management of building works including contractors and developers
- Organisation of staff seating and office layout
- Manage company Health and Safety together with Director of Production
- Organisation of company events including client party, staff summer away day and staff Christmas party
- Responsibility for the upkeep and maintenance of the office, including cleaning provision, security provision and upkeep of furniture, cleanliness, archiving and storage
Skills and experience:
- CIPD qualified or qualified by experience (essential)
- Experience working in a creative business (essential)
- Office management experience (desirable)
- Experience working in an owner-led business (desirable)
View all jobs